CROMWELL IN STAINED GLASS. This 1902 gift by the New England Society to First Church, Plymouth, depicts Oliver Cromwell as the Puritan leader who ushered in Liberty—”the Vital Air of Social Progress.” The Society contributed to rebuilding of the church following a fire in 1895.
MILTON IN STAINED GLASS. Created by the Church Glass Decorating Company of Brooklyn, this gift to First Church, Plymouth, depicts John Milton as herald of Religious Liberty—”True Fruit of Pilgrim Sowing.”
PETERSHAM HISTORICAL SOCIETY BUILDING with “Shays Rebellion” stela and plaque erected by the New England Society and dedicated on July 4, 1927.
SHAYS REBELLION PLAQUE on stela, at Petersham Historical Society, donated by the New England Society of Brooklyn in 1920.
The text on this Petersham plaque reads as follows:
IN THIS TOWN
ON SUNDAY MORNING, FEBRUARY FOURTH
AND ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY OF HIS FOLLOWERS
IN REBELLION AGAINST THE COMMONWEALTH
WERE SURPRISED AND ROUTED BY
GENERAL BENJAMIN LINCOLN
IN COMMAND OF THE ARMY OF MASSACHUSETTS
AFTER A NIGHT MARCH FROM HADLEY
OF THIRTY MILES THROUGH SNOW
AND COLD BELOW ZERO.
FOR THE FORCES OF GOVERNMENT
INFLUENCED THE PHILADELPHIA CONVENTION
WHICH THREE MONTHS LATER
MET AND FORMED
THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES
OBEDIENCE TO LAW IS TRUE LIBERTY
ERECTED BY THE NEW ENGLAND SOCIETY
OF BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
AS A GIFT TO
THE PETERSHAM HISTORICAL SOCIETY
PRISON SHIP MARTYRS MONUMENT, constructed with the help of a 1902 donation from the New England Society, over the remains in Fort Greene Park of 11,500 prisoners who died during the American Revolution on British prison ships anchored in nearby Wallabout Bay, now the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The last structure designed by Stanford White, the monument was dedicated six years later by President-elect William Howard Taft.